Cockerill, Craig & Moore, LLC Attorneys at Law

Solutions. Service. Experience.

Believe You Lost Your Job because you Filed a Complaint against your employer? What to do next

On Behalf of | Aug 7, 2020 | Employment Law |


If your employer has unlawfully fired you, you have the right to file a wrongful termination lawsuit. This lawsuit can help you recoup money or receive unemployment benefits while you look for a new job. Our Woodbury employment attorneys can help you navigate the legal waters.

What is Wrongful Termination? Wrongful termination is a term used when an employer violates laws or written agreements when firing an employee. Maybe your former employer has breached a mutual contract. If so, you have a case against the company. Our Woodbury employment law firm wants to handle your case and to get you the compensation you deserve.

What Constitutes Wrongful Termination? Wrongful termination can happen for many different reasons. If you have been fired based on your race, age, religion or ethnicity, your former employer violated federal and state anti-discrimination laws. Perhaps you were fired after informing the authorities about your employer’s mismanagement or unlawful acts. There are many different forms of wrongful termination, some of which include:

  • Making the conditions so unpleasant that you quit your job – also known as constructive wrongful termination
  • Firing you during pregnancy or medical leave
  • Not giving in to sexual advancements and harassment

Our employment lawyers in Woodbury can determine the reason for your wrongful termination and help you take the appropriate action.

Tips on What to Do After Being Fired Keep these tips in mind if you think that you have been fired unlawfully:

  • Do not negatively retaliate against your employer.
  • Ask about the reasons why you were fired.
  • Look over your contract for any hidden language.
  • Request to look at your personnel file.
  • Contact an employment law attorney to discuss your situation.

Craig Annin & Baxter: Woodbury Employment Lawyers Contact the employment lawyers at Craig, Annin & Baxter. We will fight for your rights and help you receive compensation for back pay, damages, fees and more if your former employer violated any of your legal rights.